Thursday, May 12, 2011

Red Queen or Increasing Returns?

When we were first notified that we had to watch a DVD of a movie that I did not own, I first asked my mom because she has collected videos for years. However, when I couldn’t find it there, I checked Redbox movies and Walmart to see if they had it. Eventually, I had to turn to Netflix to find the movie online. Renting Blade Runner was the first time I had ever watched a movie digitally using my laptop, and now it probably will not be my last.


I believe that the current competition between DVDs and video on demand is an example of Red Queens simply because of the fierce competition between the two types of technology (Thornburg, 2009). Essentially, these two technologies allow people to rent movies in their homes instead of going out of the house to get it from a store. By promoting their essential details and competing to be the best they have suddenly moved ahead of Blockbuster, Movie World, and other movie rental places.

Enhances: What does this technology do that is new?

This technology allows people to watch movie from any computer, from any place, and at anytime. With our ever-changing schedules, this tool gives us the opportunity to watch movies even when the rest of the world is sleeping.

Obsoletes: What does this technology replace?

This technology replaces the need for movie rental stores. It replaces the need to rush back to return the movie at the last minute before the store closes in order to avoid a late fee as well.

Retrieves/rekindles: What does this technology bring to mind (or retrieve) from the past?

This technology brings to mind peoples need for entertainment. At first, it was stories by a campfire to teach the tribes history and rituals, and then we moved to entertainment by radio. Next, we were able to bring about television show (first black/white and then in color). Lastly, it brings to mind movies showing at local movie theaters.

Reverses: What might replace this technology in the future, or what might it cause to occur?

One thing that might replace this technology is if local theaters cease to exist and entirely new movies can be beamed directly into our living rooms. With the increasing speed of internet connections downloads are clearer and quicker than ever. In addition, with the use of portable projectors (like the ones in our classes) people have the ability to watch movies with their neighborhoods on the side of their houses. The only new thing would be instant access to movie premieres.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista,
    I agree DVDs and VOD are in fierce competition. I used to be a collector of videos. I was a member of blockbuster, columbiahouse and BMG. I no longer purchase from these memberships, I only purchase from stores like walmart and bestbuy, videos for my kids because they like to watch them over and over. Since the intro of VOD, I see a diminishing need for DVDs for movies but an increasing need for them as video games. Because of the change in my habits of purchasing, this is why I feel it is increasing Returns rather than Red Queens.

    As for the thought of local theaters ceasing to exist, that is when movie creation will diminish. So many movies are being made just because of the possible profits that could be had. If theaters no longer exist, they would have to find a way in which that same money could be made in order to keep production up. One thought I have on that is individual movie goggle connections that people could pay for and watch. Something like a virtual world, looking in through a window which would be like glasses. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete